close
Hucksters.net
Exposing spam, fraud, corruption, censorship, and propaganda

Otter PR – Fake Reviews, Bullying, and High Turnover Rates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michelle

I have been waiting for an opportunity to disclose a strange interaction I had with Otter Public Relations earlier this year. For context, I left the company in 2021 and had left a review on Indeed about my experiences as an employee. At the time of my employment, Otter did not have an unlimited PTO policy, no healthcare/medical benefits (claimed to have them, but never went over benefits), an HR representative – or appropriate pay for the amount of work their publicists were doing. I did not have a positive experience during my time of employment at this company and feel that it is my right to disclose my honest experiences on platforms that are made for that purpose. After the first review was taken down, I submitted another – not out of malice or spam, but because I genuinely thought my review didn’t go through.

Months after I left the review, I was called by one of the Otter PR founders, Scott Bartnick. At first, he claimed to be reaching out because of some of the concerns voiced on Indeed/Glassdoor and wanted to know how he could make the workplace better – I still found it both wildly inappropriate and odd that he was reaching out so long after I had left. He thanked me for my professionalism when quitting and began to ask what steps he felt I could take to prevent a high turnover. I didn’t have an answer for him, and found the call to be redundant. I was about to hang up, but then the true purpose of his call was revealed. He mentioned a Reddit post, which was written by another one of their employees (I think? That’s what he said…). He summarized the post, but after our call I immediately Googled it to see what he was talking about in the first place. I was not, and still am not, able to read the Reddit post because it was taken down, but I was able to find an archived version through Hucksters.

Scott made it very clear that even if I did not write the Reddit post, he did not want me to disclose anymore information about my experiences at Otter PR online. In plain words, he asked me not to leave any more negative reviews and said something along the lines of “negative reviews affect our reputation, which then affects the people who depend on their jobs here to feed their families.” Again, that was not verbatim, but the impact of his words was all the same. I was mortified, upset, saddened, and confused. How could one negative Glassdoor review possibly tank an entire business? How could he know it was me when Glassdoor reviews are anonymous? And why would I use Reddit in the first place? While he was NOT rude, mean or directly threatening – it seemed to me like he was trying to intimidate me into silence, which I consider a form of bullying. Even if his intention was not to intimidate me, intimidated is the only word I would use to describe how I felt when we got off of our call. He is older than me, and has more experience in the field – he knows there is a power dynamic at play, and he succeeded in frightening me to the point where I felt like I couldn’t even speak to my friends about my experiences without feeling paranoid. This is a white man with power and money – he could leverage these resources to threaten with lawsuits or legal action, but sharing negative, honest experiences is a right we all have. If anything, our experiences are the ONLY thing we have after leaving a company.

Out of respect for his wishes, I won’t dive into my specific experience, but I can guarantee you that the GREAT MAJORITY of Otter PR’s reviews you see online when you Google them are either written by Otter PR’s current employees, or are falsified. The Otter PR Hucksters page highlights some of these fake reviews. I will say that there are some client reviews that are positive, which is great. This attests to the true skill and grit of the senior publicists at Otter PR. But if you scroll down to old reviews, you can see that some of the reviews are associated with the founders’ own businesses (Rave Doctor, Bonder, etc), or they’ve been written by employees and their family/friends, which isn’t exactly ethical. But I guess everyone does that second part now, so take that as you’d like.

To those interested in working for this company, I implore you all to please do your research on every corner of the internet possible – and reach out to former employees on LinkedIn to see how their experience was. I cannot speak to how things are now, and I blame my negative experience on negligence at the time I was hired, not on the company as a whole. I believe their workforce is talented, fierce, ambitious, and hungry for opportunities – the heart and soul of this company are its stellar employees with rockstar talent and attitudes. I genuinely wish my former coworkers the best in their endeavors. While I do believe things have changed, prior issues have been solved, and the company is getting better as a whole, I cannot defend working for the founders due to the last interaction I had with them. I have since blocked the founders’ numbers/social media accounts, changed my email, and have not made further attempts to leave reviews (mostly out of fear). I have made my current employer and collogues aware of this situation in case the founders ever followed up or contacted my company about this – to which they responded with grace, understanding, and empathy.

Alan
    Christine
    Douglas

if you’re gonna call them out then call them out why you “respecting wishes”

Kayla

@ Douglas – maybe to avoid being sued LOL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*The vast majority of people listed in this database are just “normal” business people, therefore no negative connotation is insinuated nor should misdeeds be assumed based on existing in our business directory. Our underlying goal is exposing misdeeds and fraud, but to accomplish this we often must first identity “honest” business people. This is because of things like similar names, impersonation, copyright infringement, and other reasons. Thus, the vast majority of people in our database are not being accused of anything shady. For this reason, profiles are now “noindexed” by default until comments exist on any given profile, since many of them are unnotable.

DISCLAIMER: ALL INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE WAS OBTAINED LEGALLY VIA PUBLIC RECORDS AND WEB PAGES. This public interest website functions as a transparency engine to expose relationships between individuals and entities (e.g. brands and organizations). Under no circumstances do we publish confidential data about an individual such as ID numbers, medical records, health status, or financial information, including contact details such as personal email addresses and phone numbers, residential addresses, or personal media (e.g. photos/videos). If you discover any such information on our website (including in public comments or reviews), please let us know so that it can be removed immediately. (This does not apply to business-related phone/email, office locations, or other contact information that was used as part of a spam/fraud/etc campaign.) We explicity discourage using this internet directory in any effort to harm or harass any individual or entity, regardless of the reason. We also do not accept or solicit payments or other forms of value in exchange for removing or altering pages that are published here. Anyone is allowed to register a free account on Hucksters.net and publish reviews at anytime, as long as they use their real name and abide by our Terms, as well as all relevant laws of the United States and any local jurisdictions. Reviews can be edited or deleted at anytime at the discretion of the review author, and we strongly encourage updating the content whenever appropriate (e.g. if no longer accurate, or if new information exists). Users are also allowed to review themselves. Any comments that do not include the author’s full (real) name will be deleted. By posting on this site (under your real name), you therefore take legal responsibility for your words, and you understand that other people might therefore choose to dispute the nature of your words in a relevant court of law (thus commenters shall not hide behind Section 230). Reviews should be relevant to the subject’s career and not mundane/personal events. We encourage honesty, humility, and good humor, whenever possible.

Common searches: owner, founder, ceo, boss, associate, whois, info, huckster, scammer, spammer, liar, true, reviews, experiences, reputation, before, known for, profile, deadname, real name, birth name, original name, who was, gender, beliefs, history, etc.

Be brave! Login now and report any spam, fraud, or censorship you have witnessed. If you don’t say something, then nothing changes.

Legal caution: we fight (and expose) all fraudulent DMCA+ takedown notices submitted against our website. Any agency, freelancer, or lawyer who is party to “takedown” fraud will be aggressively exposed by our team. Please do not assist the scumbags in our directory unless you’re willing to be publicly exposed, thank you.